Part 2: **Signature Assignment**
Holistic Assessment of the Older Adult
This assignment is a voice over PowerPoint recording of 13-15 minutes.
For the PowerPoint and recorded presentation, create a presentation that addresses each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the prompts or questions for each bullet point. Use clear headings that allow your professor to know which bullet you are addressing on the slides in your presentation. Support your content with at least four (4) scholarly sources throughout your presentation, referencing in APA style. Include title and references slides in the presentation. Follow best practices for PowerPoint presentations related to text size, color, images, effects, wordiness, and multimedia enhancements. Ensure that you have permission from your older adult to conduct the health assessment and ensure that they are not identified on the PPT. Review the Signature Assignment rubric criteria for this assignment.
Part 1: Assessment: Choose an adult (65 years or older) friend or relative and perform a holistic health assessment. Clearly discuss your discovered holistic health assessment data. Your assessment should include the following parts for the holistic assessment:
- General Health History
- Physiological Assessment
- Psychological Assessment
- Social Assessment
- Cultural Assessment
- Developmental Assessment
- Spiritual Assessment
Part 2: Interpretation (Abnormality and Coping)
- Choose one abnormality from the data gained in the assessments and discuss possible reasons/causes for the abnormality.
- How does this abnormality impact the other areas of the patient’s life?
- Discuss the client’s stress and coping mechanisms.
- Are they healthy?
- What recommendations and improvements could be made that are individualized for this person?
Part 3: Teaching Plan: Create a teaching plan that addresses the client holistically by applying the assessment data you have analyzed.
- Describe at least one client goal for each of the six categories (each category should have a goal) (physical, psychological, social, cultural, developmental, and spiritual).
- Discuss one strategy per goal you would use to teach your client about each individual goal
- Explain how you will evaluate if your teaching was effective
- Title Slide (1 slide)
- Objective Slide (1 slide)
- General Health History (1slide)
- Physical (1 slide)
- Psychological (1 slide)
- Social (1 slide)
- Cultural (1 slide)
- Developmental (1 slide)
- Spiritual (1 slide)
- Interpretation (Abnormality and Coping)
- Abnormality, Reasons/Causes, Impact on Life (1 slide)
- Stress, Coping, Recommendations (1 slide)
- Teaching Plan
- Physical Goal and Teaching Strategy (1 slide)
- Psychological Goal and Teaching Strategy (1 slide)
- Social Goal and Teaching Strategy (1 slide)
- Cultural Goal and Teaching Strategy (1 slide)
- Developmental Goal and Teaching Strategy (1 slide)
- Spiritual Goal and Teaching Strategy (1 slide)
- Evaluation Plan (1 slide)
- References (1 slide)
Length: PPT of 19-21 slides; Recording 13-15 min
Structure: Include a title slide, objective slide, content slides, and reference slide in APA format. Recording is of PPT slides, with voice only.
References: Use appropriate APA style in-slide citations and references for all resources. A minimum of four (4) scholarly sources are required.
Rubric: This assignment uses a rubric for scoring. Please review it as part of your assignment preparation and again prior to submission to ensure you have addressed its criteria at the highest level.
Expert Solution Preview
As medical college students, it is essential to develop a comprehensive understanding of conducting holistic health assessments of older adults. This assignment requires you to perform a holistic health assessment of an adult aged 65 or above and create a PowerPoint presentation on your findings. You will also be required to analyze and interpret the data, create a teaching plan, and evaluate its effectiveness. This task is vital for your future profession to ensure that you provide elder adults with the appropriate care, support, and interventions.
Answer to Part 1:
For the holistic assessment of an older adult, the assessment is divided into several parts. The first part is the general health history of the patient, which includes any significant medical or surgical history, allergies, and ongoing medical treatments. The second part is the physiological assessment, which includes vital signs, body measurements, and physical examination. The psychological assessment involves evaluating the cognitive, emotional, and mental health of the patient. The social assessment assesses the patient’s support system and evaluates their social interaction skills. The cultural assessment includes assessing the patient’s cultural beliefs and values, and the developmental assessment includes evaluating the patient’s developmental history. The last part is the spiritual assessment, which helps determine the patient’s spiritual needs and beliefs.
Answer to Part 2:
Abnormalities are usually of concern when a parameter falls outside the normal range. Let’s say the patient presents with a high blood pressure; the possible reasons/causes could be unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise, stress, or old age. High blood pressure could impact the patient’s daily activities, increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases, and cause stress. Coping mechanisms vary from individual to individual, and some may adopt unhealthy behaviors such as substance abuse or overeating. Recommendations to improve their coping mechanism could include adopting healthy eating habits, exercise, and stress management techniques that are individualized according to the patient’s condition.
Answer to Part 3:
The teaching plan involves creating individual goals for each of the six categories of holistic assessment. For example, a physical goal could be the patient’s weight reduction, and the teaching strategy could involve a healthy eating plan and moderate physical exercise. Evaluation of the patient’s progress could be monitored by regular weigh-ins and recording the patient’s dietary intake. Similarly, psychological, social, cultural, developmental, and spiritual goals could be set with appropriate teaching strategies, and evaluations could be conducted regularly to identify if the patient’s goals have been achieved.
The presentation should include the following slides:
– Title Slide
– Objective Slide
– General Health History
– Interpretation (Abnormality and Coping)
– Abnormality, Reasons/Causes, Impact on Life
– Stress, Coping, Recommendations
– Teaching Plan
– Physical Goal and Teaching Strategy
– Psychological Goal and Teaching Strategy
– Social Goal and Teaching Strategy
– Cultural Goal and Teaching Strategy
– Developmental Goal and Teaching Strategy
– Spiritual Goal and Teaching Strategy
– Evaluation Plan
Overall, this assignment encompasses various aspects of health assessment and provides a comprehensive understanding of the health status of older adults. It also highlights the importance of creating appropriate teaching strategies to ensure their wellness and ability to cope with health changes.
#Part #Signature #Assignment #Holistic #Assessment #Older